B. Everett Jordan Lake Businesses
• Surface Area: 13,900 Acres
B. Everett Jordan Lake is a reservoir in New Hope Valley, west of Raleigh and south of Durham in Chatham County, North Carolina, in the United States of America. The northernmost end of the lake actually reaches into southwestern Durham County.
The reservoir was developed at an original cost of US $146,300,000 and is owned and operated by the United States Army Corps of Engineers, which dammed and flooded the Haw River and New Hope River between 1973 and 1983 as part of a flood control project prompted by a particularly damaging tropical storm that hit the region downstream in September 1945. Originally authorized in 1963 as the New Hope Lake Project, the reservoir was renamed in 1974 in memory of B. Everett Jordan, former North Carolina Senator. The reservoir covers 13,940 acres with a shoreline of 180 miles at its standard water level of 216 feet above sea level. The reservoir is part of the Jordan Lake State Recreation Area.
Completed in 1974 by the Nello L. Teer Company, the Jordan Lake Dam (also known as the B. Everett Jordan Project and the New Hope Dam) is located 4 miles upstream from the mouth of the Haw River in the upper Cape Fear River drainage basin. The dam is 1,330 feet in length and has a top elevation of 266.5 feet above mean sea level.